Carer’s Allowance Contact Number

Important: Calls to this number cost 7p per minute, plus your operator’s access charge. We will connect your call directly to the UK Government helpline. We are not associated with UK Government.

Carers Allowance Contact Number for General Enquiries

If you live in the UK and spend 35 hours a week or more caring for someone who is claiming certain benefits, you may be entitled to claim Carers Allowance for yourself. This benefit is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and is available to those who pass the UK Residence and Presence Test and meet certain other criteria, outlined in the next section. The Carers Allowance Number for enquiries of all types is 0800 731 0297. You can call this number and ask for help from 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday, or from 8.30am to 4.30pm on Fridays.

Are You Eligible for Carers Allowance?

When assessing eligibility for this benefit, the DWP look not just at the individual making the claim but at the person they are caring for as well. In order to qualify, the person that you care for must currently be claiming one of the following benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance (in certain cases)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payments

Whether Constant Attendance Allowance is counted as a qualifying benefit depends on the details. If the amount being paid is at least the normal maximum rate, with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, or is being paid at the full day rate, with a War Disablement Pension, then it counts as a qualifying benefit. If the person you are caring for is currently receiving some type of Constant Attendance Allowance and you are not sure whether it counts as a qualifying benefit, you can call the Carers Allowance contact number above and ask for clarification.

In order for you to qualify for Carers Allowance, you must personally meet the following criteria:

  • Be 16 or Older
  • Care for Somebody for 35 Hours a Week or More
  • Normally Reside in Great Britain and Have Been Resident for at Least 2 out of the Last 3 Years
  • Not Be in Full-Time Education
  • Have a Net Weekly Pay of £110 or Less
  • Not Be Subject to Immigration Control

While Carers Allowance is also available in Northern Ireland, the rules are different for residents of this part of the United Kingdom so you should call your local benefits office to find out if you are eligible or not.

Calling the Carers Allowance Number for Advice

Carer's AllowanceThe number on this page can be used to call the DWP for advice concerning all aspects of Carers Allowance. Whether you wish to find out more about how to make a claim, are in need of clarification regarding your eligibility or have any other questions that relate to this benefit, you can talk to a knowledgeable and friendly government official during the hours mentioned above and look forward to being provided with all of the information that you require.

Calling to Report Changes in Your Circumstances

If you need to tell the DWP about changes in your circumstances that may affect how much you are eligible to receive, you can use the same Carers Allowance phone number to do so. Changes of which they need to be notified include an increase in your earnings that takes you above the previously mentioned threshold, a period of time when you go on holiday or into hospital, or a change of job.

Carers Allowance FAQ

As the rules relating to this benefit can seem quite complicated, especially for new claims, it is not surprising that many people have a lot of questions when they first find out about it. While calling the Carers Allowance number is the best way to make sure that you get accurate answers to your questions, you may find the information you need in this FAQ section too.

  • How Much Is Carers Allowance? – Assuming that you qualify, you can expect to receive £62.10 a week for as long as you are caring for the person in question. This amount may of course change in the future if the benefits system is reviewed but if so, all claimants would be notified well in advance.
  • How Is My Net Income Calculated? – The £110 threshold referred to earlier is net of all income taxes and N.I contributions. It is also net of any care costs you may have to pay while you are working so you should deduct these from your total earnings if applicable, and you should also deduct 50% of any private pension contributions you make to reach your total net weekly earnings. This is the figure on which the DWP will judge your eligibility.
  • Can I Study Part-Time and Still be Eligible? – Yes. As long as you are studying for less than 21 hours a week, it should not affect your claim. If you are studying for 21 or more hours a week, you will be considered as being in full-time education and therefore not eligible for this benefit. If you are on the borderline and you are not sure what to do, call the Carers Allowance contact number and explain your situation in detail. Once they are aware of what you are doing, they will be able to advise you whether you qualify or not.
  • Is It Possible to Claim While Living Overseas? – Generally speaking, the answer to this question is no but if you are posted overseas while serving in the armed forces, you may still be eligible for Carers Allowance.

In order to make a new claim, you can complete an online form or, if you prefer, you may instead complete a physical form and post it to the DWP. If you wish to request a physical form, you can do so by calling the Carers Allowance phone number during the previously mentioned hours and providing them with your full address. Some people like the convenience of being able to complete and submit a form online whereas others feel more comfortable taking the traditional approach by using a pen and paper.

Additional Resources

The official guide in welsh
Age UK carers allowance advice