Driving License Contact Number

Important: Calls to this number cost 7p per minute, plus your operator’s access charge. We will connect your call directly to the DVLA helpline. We are not associated with DVLA.

Driving License Contact Numbers

Contacting the DVLA in the UK isn’t always as straightforward as it should be and thats where our team at UK Contact Number step in. We help you find the department you require- so if you are looking for ways to renew your driving license, apply for your license in the UK or you have other enquiries about driving qualifications that need answering then you may want to read all the information that our experts have compiled.

Theres a huge list of DVLA contact numbers and it can sometimes be hard to distinguish which one you need, but we break down the switch board and helpline numbers that you require with options to call about renewing, notifying of a lost licence, tax and SORN, MOTs, points on your licence and medical enquiries.

Applying for Your Driving License at DVLA

You may want to know how you can apply for a driving license in the UK? Its pretty simple- it costs you £43 to apply for a provisional license and that then entitles you to start learning with a driving instructor, or you can apply online for just £34. All you need is a UK passport or other valid ID alongside your National Insurance number and addresses from the last three years. But who can apply for their license with the DVLA and what does this entitle them to do?

  • Must be at least 15 years and 9 months old before applying
  • Has sufficient vision (able to read a number registration from 20 metres away)
  • Can provide proof of ID, addresses from last three years and National Insurance number
  • A provisional licence will then enable you to learn in a car from the age of 17 and ride a moped at 16

You may want to know how you can apply for a driving license in the UK?

It’s pretty simple- it costs you £43 to apply for a provisional license and that then entitles you to start learning with a driving instructor, or you can apply online for just £34. All you need is a UK passport or other valid ID alongside your National Insurance number and addresses from the last three years.

But who can apply for their license with the DVLA and what does this entitle them to do?

  • Must be at least 15 years and 9 months old before applying
  • Has sufficient vision (able to read a number registration from 20 metres away)
  • Can provide proof of ID, addresses from last three years and National Insurance number

A provisional licence will then enable you to learn in a car from the age of 17 and ride a moped at 16

Taking Your Theory and Practical Driving Tests

In order to obtain a licence in the UK you must pass your theory test and hazardperception before then being allowed to enter your practical driving test. The standard driving licence allows you to drive a car, AM motorbike, A motorbike and vans.

How to Apply for the Theory Test?

Although you can apply via a form that is sent in the post you may wish to speak to a member of their staff before finalising your application, you can easily get in touch via the DVLA contact number. Before beginning your theory application you must have a provisional driving licence. The simplest way to book your theory test for a DVA car, motorcycle, lorry or bus is via the online service. Thisway you wont be required to pay a booking fee, but alternatively you can opt to print off the application form and send it by post. Send your payment and completed application forms to the following address- Driver & Vehicle Agency,Driver Licensing, Coleraine County Hall, Castlerock Road, Waterside, Coleraine,

BT51 3TB. You can also opt to give them a call and speak to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

What you need before booking your theory exam:

  • A valid UK provisional license
  • Your payment method such as debit or credit card at hand
  • You can use your email to receive confirmation or request this by post
  • Click here to book, cancel or enquire about your theory test
  • Theory test are subject to three working days and can also be changed or cancelled via telephone

How to Apply for your Practical Driving Test?

Once you have achieved your theory test you are entitled to book your practical driving test although its best to be deemed ready by your driving instructor first. Its easy to book, just log online at DVA and find the best available date and time, prices vary depending on whether you choose a weekend, evening or day exam slot. If you wish to be book your test and are unsure on how to work their online process, simply call the DVLA helpline and you will be transferred to your local test centre or given all the details that you require.

Call today for more information on getting your licence.

Find the prices of the theory and practical test for cars, motorbikes, taxis, busesand lorries below. They vary from £23 to £64 for the theory and £45.50 to £99 for practicals.

Theory test fees

Test category Price
Car and Motorcycle £23.00
Taxi Driver £34.00
Bus and Lorry Multiple Choice £26.00
Bus and Lorry Hazard Perception £11.00
Bus and Lorry (Module 2 CPC Case Studies) £23.00
Driving Instructor / Motorcycle Instructor £64.00

Practical test fees

Practical test type Weekday price Evening and weekend price
Car £45.50 £62.50
Car and trailer £66.00 £99.00
Taxi driver £60.00 £90.00
Motorcycle, moped,* tricycle £58.00 £71.00
Motorcycle manoeuvres test £31.00 £43.00
Lorry and bus £66.00 £99.00
Driver CPC practical test (includes automated issue of Driver Qualification Card (DQC) £55.00 Not applicable
Tractor and other specialist vehicles £45.50 Not applicable

How to Renew Your Expired Licence at DVLA

Every ten years your driving licence will expire and require renewal, you can renew your licence online with a valid passport, a payment and record of address. If you are over 70 and need to renew your licence then you will have a separate link to apply for you renewed licence. You can contact the replacement department to renew your full UK driving licence, provide them with your details and they will use the electronic photo, saving you from having to get a new one.

Replacing a Lost or Stolen License

If you have a lost or stolen licence then you should contact the police to inform them of your missing ID. What should you do if you find your old driving licence? If you later locate your licence and you’ve already replaced it, then you should send it to the DVLA at DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB and explain what happened. Fortunately for UK residents replacing or renewing a licence is very easy, all you need is £20, proof of address and must not be disqualified from driving. You can apply by telephone using this method:

  1. Press number 1 to be forwarded to the ‘Licenses’ switchboard
  2. Press number 3 to opt for a replacement
  3. Press 1 to be put through to the correct department
  4. Press number 1 again, and you can then select a new licence that requires no change to the address or name.

If you wish to replace it via post then this can be done by get the D1 form for a car application or D2 for a lorry or bus application from the post office and send it to the DVLA. It takes up to three weeks to receive your application or licence back.

Changing Your Address with the DVLA

Ensuring that you have the correct address stated on your licence is a mandatory requirement for all drivers in the UK; so if it is incorrect, make sure the DVLA are aware of your address change. You can be fined up to £1000 if you fail to renew your address. There are a number of ways to notify them, either call, write to them or apply for an update online. The process is fairly similar to the one above, when replacing a lost or stolen licence, you will fill out an application and then choose whether to renew your photo via the D1 form or keep the current one. If your licence expires in the next two years then you will have no choice but to renew your passport photo used on your driving license.

Things that you will need when changing the address on your driving licence:

  1. You need your driving license at hand
  2. Need to be a UK resident, there are different procedures and processes for those that aren’t GB citizens
  3. Need your address/addresses from last three years
  4. Another proof of identity such as passport
  5. Provide your National Insurance number
  6. Once you have completed updating your licence you will need to change the address for your vehicle tax and vehicle registration

How to Tax your Vehicle with the DVLA

If you have any enquiries relating to renewing your tax, updating the address or problems with your current car tax situation then feel free to give the DVLA contact number a call, they will put you through to the tax department who will then solve any issues you have immediately. How do you know if your tax is about to expire? Well- you will receive notification prior to its expiration, a month before, you will receive a reminder (V11) and this warning letter also contains the reference number you need to renew your tax.

What do you need when renewing your car tax?

  • The V11 warning letter from DVLA and the reference number on there
  • Your log book (V5C) that is in your name
  • The green ‘new keepers’ log book if it is a car you have recently purchased

You only need one of the above to be able to reactivate your car tax or tax a car for the first time. You can then call the DVLA vehicle tax service, the 24-hour number will answer to your call and quickly support your process, meaning you can call during your break at work, on the evening or morning completely hassle-free.

Register you Vehicle as SORN

Register your car off the road or as it’s usually known, SORN. It stands for Statutory Off Road Notification. If you have tax left on your car you will receive a full refund on those unused months. Again, you can call the DVLA vehicle service in regards to SORN, so don’t hesitate to get hold of their team of experts. All you need is the 11-digit number on your V5C or the 16-digit number on your V11 (tax reminder letter).

How the MOT Status of your Car

Checking the MOT status of your vehicle has now been made simple, click here and find out when your MOT is due. You can type in your registration and will then be informed on the date of your MOT. An MOT test certificate is required for all UK vehicles as a way to ensure that each car, van or lorry on the road meets minimum safety requirements and it’s an offence to drive without a valid MOT certificate, so if yours has expired, book your test at an MOT qualified garage.

Get Vehicle Information from DVLA

Getting all the right information on your vehicle is an integral part of being a vehicle owner in the UK, that’s because it is an offence not to tax or SORN your car and you will also need to stay up-to-date with your MOT. So if you have any enquiries on:

  • When the MOT expires
  • When the car tax needs to be renewed
  • The date it was first registered
  • SORN status
  • The car colour
  • Engine Size, year of manufacture and tax rate
  • CO2 Emissions

Then you can call the DVLA telephone number that best suits you and ask about your car’s details. You can also receive information before committing to a new car by calling the DVLA and requesting these details.

Medical Enquiries

If you need to telephone the DVLA medical enquiries line then call the number listed on this page.

It can sometimes be a little complex and isn’t always the easiest process to sort through, so ensure that you are fit to drive and have all your questions answered by giving them a call. If you have already received your licence and have developed any medical conditions since then it’s best to check with them. Notable conditions that can affect your driving are the following:

  • Epilepsy
  • Strokes
  • Neurological or mental health conditions
  • Physical disabilities
  • Visual impairments

If you have any of the above conditions you should give them a call and get confirmation that you are fit to drive. Once again, not telling the DVLA could result in a £1000 fine as it could affect the safety of your driving abilities. If you are deemed unfit to drive then you may have to surrender your licence for three months, if this happens you have the right to reapply when your medical standards meet the driving requirements again. They aim to make it as smooth as possible, so if you do have any questions about DVLA and their medical conditions then get in contact via their customer service number.

Points on Your Licence

Penalty points and endorsements on your driving licence are serious and 12 or more points within a three-year period means that you could potentially be disqualified from driving. There are different rules for new drivers, if you get six or more points during the first two years of driving you will have your licence revoked. This means that you will have to retake your test once you are allowed to drive again.


There’s different ways to occur points on your licence and it generally stems down to dangerous driving. Whether this is driving without due care, using your mobile phone simultaneously or speeding. When you are caught speeding you will receive three to six penalty points on your licence. If you are doing more than 30 miles per hour over the speed limit then you could have your licence revoked. If you wish to appeal your penalty points then it’s best to start this protocol immediately, give them a call on the DVLA contact number and get hold of the department you need.

Making a Complaint

Although the DVLA’s vigilant team try their utmost to keep everybody happy there are some cases when this doesn’t happen, if you are unhappy with the dealings of your enquiries or mistakes that have been made then get hold of their specialised complaints number. The DVLA complaints contact number is there for you to contact with any issues you may have, this way it can be resolved right away. As well as having a specific helpline for complaints, they have also broken it down into sections with theory and driving test complaint numbers, medical complaint contact details and more. Before making a complaint, ensure that you have the following details/documents at the ready:

  • Full name and Address
  • Date of birth or driver number
  • Vehicle’s registration number, make and
  • Daytime phone number

If you have any complaints about your driving licence, vehicle or other handlings then you can call the DVLA number, if you still don’t feel it was handled sufficiently then get hold of them by calling again or writing to: CCRT, D16 W, DVLA, Swansea, SA6 7JL.