DVLA Forms

Important: Calls to this number cost 7p per minute, plus your operator’s access charge. We will connect your call directly to the DVLA helpline. We are not associated with DVLA.

DVLA Forms – A Brief Guide

When it comes to making sure that you are legally entitled to drive, and that your vehicle is legally your responsibility, you are going to need to get in touch with DVLA in one form or another if you’re doing so in the UK.  This branch of the government is set up to help drivers and potential drivers to cover themselves completely on a number of legal and safety issues that are essential for them to be able to take to the road.  Many issues you need to cover yourself for can be arranged by DVLA forms.  You can get DVLA forms at post office counters or sent through to your home address – but you can also now activate a DVLA forms download to give you direct access to all the data you need.

There are some reasons why you may need to apply for DVLA forms by post – and with a whole host of forms available for you to pick from, it’s important to know where to start and which forms you will need for your specific circumstances.  For example, you may need DVLA forms to scrap a vehicle – or you could need DVLA forms for address change or other amendments on your logbook.  Whatever your circumstances may be, it is important to know what forms are available to you and how you can fill them out for your own benefit.

Why are there so many forms?

The DVLA is covering as many bases as possible with its forms catalogue – particularly as a great deal of personal information can be required in order for you to process certain changes, or to get the right to do something with your vehicle.  From DVLA forms v890 and v888 to DVLA forms d2 and d4, the main DVLA forms portal gives you an excellent idea of what to expect – and how you can go about getting in contact with the agency.

You can use DVLA forms to apply for driving licences, to transfer registration numbers, or to notify the DVLA that you are taking your vehicle off-road via SORN.  There are only so many things that you are able to do both online and via the telephone – meaning that you will still need to have a black pen to hand to fill out certain applications once you’ve either printed them out or have requested them to be sent to you.  Not all forms can be downloaded, either – meaning it is important to keep a close eye on what you need and how the DVLA expects certain data back from you.

When will I need a DVLA form?

There’s a good chance you will need a DVLA form or a DVLA enquiry form if you are looking to make any changes to your details, to report changes in circumstances, or to provide the agency with further information.  It is a legal requirement that you keep the DVLA up to date on any personal details or data relating to your vehicle so that you may be taxed and registered effectively – otherwise, you may face a reprimand further down the line.  The DVLA forms contact number may also be of help to you, particularly as the team will be able to guide you to the specific forms and documentation you need for your circumstances.  Whether you are looking for a DVLA forms download or are in need of certain documents to be sent to you via post, the DVLA forms’ main portal is a great place to start.

Where do I get DVLA forms from?

DVLA forms are available in physical form at a number of locations, or you can order them directly from the DVLA themselves.  This means that you can either obtain DVLA forms at post office counters throughout the UK or you can call the team directly to order any documentation you may need. Beyond this, the DVLA forms portal provides you with a list of forms available to download and request – some of which cannot be offered in the form of a digital download due to the need for a photo.  These documents include the D1 pack and D1W pack, both of which are used for you to apply for a driving licence.

DVLA forms are easy to find and they require less paperwork and filling out than in previous years – meaning that the agency has gone to some lengths to simplify the documentation they require from drivers writing in.  The only issue facing drivers in terms of forms these days is knowing which ones to use – and how to get them!

Where can I send DVLA forms?

DVLA forms must be sent back via post.  They can be downloaded or requested in physical form, but due to the sensitive nature of some of the issues forms relate to, they are required to be returned in a physical format.  This is especially true for form packs such as the D1 and D1W, both of which will require you to affix a passport photo.  Sending forms back to the DVLA is a hassle-free process, and the agency’s teams are working faster than ever to make the amendments required by drivers.  Licences, too, are being returned quicker than ever.

The exact address to send DVLA forms back to will depend entirely upon the nature of the form and enquiry.  There is no catch-all address or department for all forms in general, though the DVLA is based centrally in Swansea.  It is therefore important to check the address or return details of any forms you receive so that none of your data or application is lost in the mail.

What DVLA forms are there?

There are a host of forms you can order, download and print – and the DVLA gives a rundown of each application pack available.  Here is a brief rundown of the forms available to order.

  • D1 / D1W – This application pack will allow you to apply for a licence to drive a car, a motorcycle or a moped.  D1W is the Welsh language equivalent.
  • D2 – This application form will need to you download a separate D4 form – it’s the standard application for a driving licence for buses, lorries and minibuses.
  • D2 and D4 packs – These complete packs allow you to apply for the above licence offline.
  • DL1 – The DL1 allows you to apply to drive any vehicle in Northern Ireland.
  • D777B and D779B – These forms allow you to apply for digital tachograph smart cards, the former for individual use and the latter for companies.
  • CT and Retention Pack – This application allows you to retain or to transfer a registration number over to a new vehicle.
  • Vehicle Import Packs – For both used and new imported vehicles, fill in these forms to enable them for UK road use.
  • V55/5 and V355/5 – This form and guide will allow you to register a used vehicle with the DVLA – and for taxation purposes.
  • V55/4 and V355/4 – As above, this application will register a new car for tax and with the DVLA.
  • V62 – This downloadable application will allow you to apply for a registration certificate on your vehicle.
  • V317 – If you wish to retain or move your number plate to an alternative vehicle, simply fill in and return this form.
  • V890 – To advise the DVLA of SORN status – this is a Statutory Off Road Notification.

Can I download forms?

Yes – but DVLA forms download options are limited to those applications which do not require a window for your photograph to be supplied.  This means that application guides for certain forms, along with DVLA forms v62, V317 and V890, are available to download and print.  There is a more comprehensive guide to smaller forms and notices that can be downloaded and printed at home available here.

Can I contact DVLA further?

You are free to contact DVLA at any time!  However, there is no dedicated team available for you to write to in terms of forms.  You are encouraged to follow the online form to request documents, or you can call the DVLA forms helpline on 0843 903 3770. This is a call connection service, costing 7p per minute plus your operator’s access charge. We are not associated with DVLA. You may wish to call the team directly if you are unsure about which forms to use or to download – making them a valuable resource.  However, the DVLA forms for download and the general online guide should help you get off to a good start.

My forms haven’t arrived – what should I do?

Your forms should arrive after requesting within a matter of working days – however, it is good practice to provide the team with at least 5 working days for your request to be processed, and for Royal Mail to handle your delivery.  You can, alternatively, discuss your concerns regarding the forms you are waiting for by calling the helpline, or you can visit your local post office to collect physical forms.  It is important that you don’t send a repeat request – the DVLA will already have received your request for forms and will contact you as soon as possible!