HMRC Contact Number

Important: Calls to this number cost 7p per minute, plus your operator’s access charge. We will connect your call directly to the HMRC helpline. We are not associated with HMRC.

HMRC Contact Number

Getting in touch with HM Revenue & Customs is simple if you know exactly which department you need to contact. Some enquiries aren’t so clearly defined, so we’ve compiled a guide to contacting HMRC to make life easier for you. Previously known as the Inland Revenue, HMRC now offer help and support with thousands of tax related questions and complaints in the UK every day. The number listed above will connect you directly to the official helpline where it is important to speak to the correct department for your specific query. Find out how, below.

More about HM Revenue & Customs

HMRC Contact NumberWithout ‘Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs’, it’s clear the UK would be a vastly different place to live and work. They are the government organisation responsible for collecting money by way of tax and National Insurance, in order to provide better public services and welfare benefits. Some of these include public transport, healthcare, housing, education and financial support for the unemployed – absolute necessities in today’s society. HMRC also deal with anti-money laundering and through the UK Border agency, the protection of the UK’s borders.

Everyone should do their part to support the country, economy and fellow citizens but occasionally things don’t quite add up and you may need to contact the tax office to have things put right. Below you can find out exactly when you should contact HMRC.

Tax Office

The Tax Office deals with the whole spectrum of taxation enquiries and until recently has held branches in most major towns and cities. Due to the recent simplification of many processes and the transition to computer based systems, government plans will eventually condense the smaller tax offices into 13 regional tax centres.

The HMRC contact number is the main point of contact for all tax related questions or complaints whether you’re a business, individual or an authorised agent acting on behalf of another. When calling, please have your National Insurance number ready (Find out what to do below if you don’t have it).

Call the Tax Office for:

Individual Tax

  • Changes to your PAYE Tax Code
  • Self assessment tax returns for employed and self-employed workers
  • If you’re paying emergency tax
  • Personal allowances and Flat Rate Expenses (FRE)
  • Underpayments, overpayments and rebates
  • To inform HMRC of a change in circumstances
  • Inheritance Tax
  • Tax Credits
  • Claiming tax relief, marriage allowance and blind persons allowance
  • PAYE form disputes and enquiries, including lost forms for:
    • P45 – when you leave work
    • P60 – How much tax you’ve paid in that year
    • P11D – for ‘Benefits in Kind’

For individuals needing to discuss the points above or any other tax problem, they can have their questions answered by calling the HMRC contact number for tax on 0300 200 3300.

Employer / Business Tax

  • Employer enquiries including PAYE
  • Corporation Tax
  • Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)
  • Capital Gains Tax
  • Tax from the sale of property and shares
  • Filing a company tax return
  • Value Added Tax (VAT) registration, find your VAT number or make a payment
  • Appeals and Disputes
  • Other taxes you may be subject to dependent on the nature of your business can be found here:

Business owners, employers or accountants wishing to discuss any business or employer tax issues can also call the tax office contact number listed above to have their call directed.

Authorised agents can act on behalf of an individual or a business when discussing matters with HMRC and should call the helpline as normal.

How to find your local tax office

Locating your nearest Tax Office is simple, with an address and phone number often shown on your payslip or P60. Failing this, you can search online using your postcode for the closest tax office, or give them a call directly to ask where their nearest office is located.

What are the current income tax rates?

Currently, you have a standard personal allowance of £10,600. This means you can earn up to £10,600 without paying tax – this could potentially be higher if you work in a profession eligible for flat rate expenses. If in doubt, when calling the HMRC contact number you should advise the member of staff which profession you are currently employed in so that they can check whether you qualify for a higher allowance.

  • Earnings below £31,785: Basic tax rate of 20%
  • Earnings £31,786 to £150,000: Higher tax rate of 40% (if you are on the standard personal allowance, you will pay this rate on income over £42, 385 – meaning your initial £10,600 is tax free)
  • Earnings over £150,000: Additional tax rate of 45%

How do I pay tax?

For the majority, tax is paid automatically through PAYE – or ‘Pay as you Earn’. This means it is automatically calculated and deducted from the wage or salary paid to you by your employer. Your tax code tells your employer how much to deduct so it’s important to make sure you have the correct code.

Occasionally you will see a code such as ‘1060L W1’, ‘1060L M1’, ‘1060L X’ or ‘0T’ which means you have been issued with an temporary emergency tax code. Your personal allowance will be the same, unless you have ‘0T’ in which case you will not have a personal allowance at all. This is common if you’ve just started work with a new employer or have previously been self employed – contact the tax office to have your tax code corrected if you’re concerned.

Self assessment tax returns are paid annually after completing your tax return. You can pay online, by bank transfer online or in-branch, using telephone banking or by visiting your local post office. The deadlines for these payments are 31st January and 31st July if you make a second payment. A budget payment plan can also be agreed if you prefer.

National Insurance

National Insurance (NI) is paid by anyone 16 or over who is currently in employment and earning more than £155 per week, or self employed earning over £5,965 annually. Contributions count toward many of the UK benefits currently helping those who don’t earn a living wage. All National Insurance enquiries are handled by HMRC who can be contacted by dialling 0300 200 3300.

How do I apply for a National Insurance Number?

You can apply for a new National Insurance Number by telephone. If you have previously held a National Insurance number but have lost it, you may be able to find it on a P60, payslip or tax return. Alternatively you can have your old NI number posted to you – to do this you can call or apply by post following using form CA5403.

For more information on National Insurance and how to get in touch, click here.

Tax Credits

HMRC oversee the payment of tax credits to working people on low incomes, as well as families with children. The scheme acts to redistribute wealth to those who would otherwise exist in conditions of poverty. The benefit consists of Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit and has vastly reduced the amount of poverty in the UK with some of the lowest levels of child poverty in many decades.

Am I eligible for Child Tax Credit?

There are online calculators to instantly inform you whether or not you meet the eligibility criteria and tell you how much you’re eligible for. If you have a child under 16 (or under 20 and in full time education), you may be eligible to claim Child Tax Credit. Call the HMRC phone number for tax credit information and to learn more about applying today.

Can I claim Working Tax Credit?

There are a number of criteria you must meet in order to be eligible for working tax credits. As implied by it’s name you can receive this benefit if you’re in work and getting paid, but your income must fall below a certain level. Although primarily available to those over 25, you may qualify if you’re 24 and younger with a child or a qualifying disability. Contact HMRC for further working tax credit information.

How do I contact HMRC from abroad?

You can find answers to all of your tax and national insurance questions along with any other HMRC enquiries by calling from abroad using the overseas format. Simply dial ‘0044 300 200 3300’ to be connected to an advisor where you can ask about taxation on a foreign income, tax if you move to, or return to the UK. Please be advised, there may be an extra charge issued by your network provider for this service.


You should contact the HMRC helpline if you feel you need to make a complaint or appeal against a decision which affects you. They have a robust complaints procedure in place should you be unhappy with the service in any way. Some common complaints include experiencing unreasonable delays, or being mistreated by a member of Revenue & Customs staff. When complaining by telephone you should have as much information ready as possible including your credentials, national insurance number and specific details about the complaint.

Opening Hours

the HMRC phone number operates between the hours of 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 4pm on Saturday. The lines are closed on Sundays and bank holidays but you can find the answers to most questions online.

You can also get in touch by post at the following address:

PAYE and Self Assessment Complaints,
HM Revenue and Customs,
United Kingdom

A full list of services and information provided by HMRC can be found here.